The Northern Lawn Tennis Club in South Manchester is seeking to recruit a
Head of Squash
Build participation in both squash and racketball;
Deliver Junior and Senior coaching programmes;
Develop programmes for Schools and Community Groups;
Offer individual coaching to Club members;
Encourage a multi-sport culture within the Club.
FOUNDED in 1881, The Northern is a private members’ club with 23 tennis courts, six squash courts, a well equipped gym, spacious fitness studio and a comfortable lounge bar and eatery.
As a squash club, it is one of the largest in the region, with 6 courts, including an exhibition area of two glassback courts with tiered seating.
Pre-pandemic, the Club fielded nine men’s teams and four women’s teams – more than any other UK club – in the senior leagues, plus five junior teams in the Manchester Junior League. The women’s first team has won the Cheshire County League for five consecutive years.
The Club hosted a PSA Women’s Challenger event in 2018 and 2019 as well as regular ES accredited Copper, Bronze and Silver tournaments.
Despite repeated closures and restricted play over the last year, the Club retains a substantial core of enthusiastic senior and junior squash players, eager to get back into action.
The Northern is now seeking a Head of Squash to manage the return to full play, to re-launch junior and senior coaching activities and to help take The Northern forward in the post-pandemic era.
The Northern is eager to position itself as a multi-sport facility. Tennis, squash and table tennis are already in place, together with a thriving Health + Fitness section. Pickleball was introduced during 2020 and the option of padel is being actively explored.
The pandemic has illustrated the advantage of members being able to switch from one activity to another, according to restrictions/ the weather, thus obtaining optimal value from their membership. The Head of Squash would work alongside the Director of Tennis and the Health + Fitness team in offering cross-sport opportunities to members, schools, universities and the wider community.
There will also be an opportunity for the right candidate, with appropriate skills (eg IT) to expand their remit into wider areas of the Club management.
The Club is proposing a basic Administration Fee of £5k pa, paid monthly, plus group coaching fees invoiced on a monthly basis at the appropriate ES recommended rate.
This package would be enhanced in the case of an expanded remit (see previous section) and the Club would also be willing to consider incentives to recognise increased member participation and the success of the coaching programmes.
The successful candidate will be:
* ES Qualified, ideally to Level 3 but Level 2 candidates will be considered, dependent on their experience;
*A good people manager, able to motivate the Club’s team of professional and part-time coaches;
* A ‘club person’, spending time with the members and acting as an ambassador for Squash within the Club;
* A team player – not just in the national/ county league sense (although that would be desirable) but able to work alongside the Club’s Management Team and Executive Committee in promoting the Club as a whole.
Duties will include:
* Develop and manage a structured and cost-effective junior coaching programme, taking players from beginner to performance level;
* Develop and manage adult coaching activities in both squash and racketball;
* Deliver pre-season team training;
* Develop schools and community coaching opportunities, liaising with the Director of Tennis on combined programme offers where appropriate;
* Run annual closed junior and senior tournaments plus a ‘fun’ Christmas tournament;
* Play for the Club teams at the appropriate level;
* Plan at least one squash-related event (ie exhibition match) per season;
* Maintain good working relationships with England Squash, the County Associations and Manchester City Council;
* Plan a programme of ES sanctioned junior tournaments;
* Attend Club Management meetings;
* Assist with Club events/ Open Days as appropriate.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday March 31st 2021
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org